Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add idle wait support for 44x platforms

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 04:17:36 +0200

On Friday 04 April 2008, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:12:38 -0500
> Jerone Young <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> > > 
> > > > +static int current_mode = 0;
> > > 
> > > Leave this as: static int current_mode;, so it'll end up in the bss
> > 
> > The problem here is that this defines the default case. Is there really
> > a benefit having this in bss ?
> 
> It's still defined to 0 if it's in the BSS, as that is all initialized
> to 0.

Actually, a static assignment to 0 has not caused the symbol to end up
in .data for many gcc versions, it always goes into .bss now unless you
assign it a value other than 0 or use explicit section attributes.

Whether or not you write the "= 0" is purely stylistic sugar and does
not have any impact the generated binary.

	Arnd <><