Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Add thread_info_cache_init() to all archs

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 13:52:30 -0700

On Wed, 21 May 2008 15:44:41 -0400
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 
> On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 11:41 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > 
> > yup, gcc bug.  Discussed recently on lkml, "Subject: Re: huge gcc
> > 4.1.{0,1} __weak problem".  I don't think anything ended up happening
> > about it though.
> 
> Hrm... do you think we should work around ? ie. move the stubs to a
> separate .c file ?
> 

istr that sticking an asm(""); in the weak function was a reliable
workaround.  If we are going to to that it should be via

/* comment goes here */
#define gcc_screws_up_weak_stuff() asm("")

but that approach didn't seem very popular.  It's a _bit_ fragile I
guess, but it's pretty easy to grep for missed workarounds.