Subject: Re: [PATCH] Power5,Power6 BSR driver

From: Sonny Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:17:40 -0500

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 02:59:35PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> 
> > +		cur->bsr_addr   = reg[i * 2];
> > +		cur->bsr_len    = reg[i * 2 + 1];
> 
> That's fishy... hand-reading of "reg" property without taking
> into account the parent's #size-cells/#address-cells... can't you
> use of_address_to_resource or something similar and carry a struct
> resource around instead ?

So, with this suggestion I looked at the resource API... not very well
documented, and I get the feeling like it's more for carving up a PCI
memory address range.  In the case of the BSR, everything is already
partitioned (by hardware) so I don't see the point of using this API
here.  Or am I missing something about it?

> In fact, same goes with the way you do num_bsr_devs = reg_len / 16.
> 
> You should rather use -another- property of well known lenght, or
> get the #address/#size-cells of the parent and use those appropriately.

Well, I check to make sure the lengths are consistent with each other
right above there so we shouldn't walk off the end of anything, but I
will take a look at using #size-cells / #address-cells instead.

Thanks for the comments

Sonny