Subject: Re: Updates to powerpc.git

From: Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:20:08 -0600

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 02:08:32AM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Kumar,
> 
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 07:58:38 -0500 Kumar Gala <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > What is your intent with the 'master' branch?  I hope you do NOT plan  
> > on ever rebasing it.  I assume if a patch gets into master and we drop  
> > it you'll do a git-revert of it?
> 
> "Ever" is such a strong word.  Even Paul on occasion rebased his master
> branch.  I see no reason why Ben could not run his master (or maybe
> better named "test") branch as a place that patches come and go and his
> "next" branch as something that never (or very rarely) gets rebased with
> commits progressing from master (test) to next when he is satisfied with
> them. People should then base further work in the "next" branch.

I was under the impression that there was some consensus that -next
branches should be used for unstable experiments.  Am I mistaken?

g.