Subject: [BUG] fec_mpc52xx: Don't call mpc52xx_fec_reset() in ISR

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:39:09 +0200

Hello,

today, I was debugging a kernel crash on a board with a MPC5200B using
2.6.26-rc9. I found the following code in drivers/net/fec_mpc52xx.c:

static irqreturn_t mpc52xx_fec_interrupt(int irq, void *dev_id)
{
[...]
	/* on fifo error, soft-reset fec */
	if (ievent & (FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR | FEC_IEVENT_XFIFO_ERROR)) {

		if (net_ratelimit() && (ievent & FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR))
			dev_warn(&dev->dev, "FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR\n");
		if (net_ratelimit() && (ievent & FEC_IEVENT_XFIFO_ERROR))
			dev_warn(&dev->dev, "FEC_IEVENT_XFIFO_ERROR\n");

		mpc52xx_fec_reset(dev);

		netif_wake_queue(dev);
		return IRQ_HANDLED;
	}
[...]
}

Calling mpc52xx_fec_reset() from interrupt context is bad, at least
because

a) it calls phy_write, which contains BUG_ON(in_interrupt())
b) it calls mpc52xx_fec_hw_init, which has a delay-loop to check
   if the reset was successful (1..50 us)

I assume the proper thing to do is to set a flag in the ISR and handle
the soft reset later in some other context. Having never dealt with the
network core and its drivers so far, I am not sure which place would be
the right one to perform the soft reset. To not make things worse, I
hope people with more insight to network stuff can deliver a suitable
solution to this problem.

All the best,

   Wolfram

-- 
  Dipl.-Ing. Wolfram Sang | http://www.pengutronix.de
 Pengutronix - Linux Solutions for Science and Industry