Subject: Re: insmod: unresolved symbol XIo_In32/XIo_Out32

From: Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:31:17 -0600

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:26:27AM -0400, Juliana Su wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anybody familiar with the following error?
>
> insmod: unresolved symbol XIo_In32
> insmod: unresolved symbol XIo_Out32
>
> I am trying to write a device driver for a Custom IP and get it to run  
> on a Xilinx ML310's Linux OS. I am using Xilinx EDK 10.1 and MontaVista  
> Linux version 2.4.20_mvl31-ml300. I ran into this error when trying to  
> load my module into the kernel. When I try to load the module using  
> insmod on the ".o" file, the module refuses to load and gives me the  
> unresolved symbol error message. I actually stumbled upon an older  
> posting from June 2006 on this mailing list that described a similar  
> problem, but those suggestions did not help me. Maybe two years later,  
> there are more ideas/suggestions/solutions to this problem?

I can't help much with the 2.4 montavista kernel, but I can say that the
error means that the XIo_* helper routines are either not compiled into
the kernel or are not exported with EXPORT_SYMBOL().  The XIo_* routines
are hooks used by Xilinx cross platform device drivers to make the
actual accesses to hardware.  If they are not implemented, then you need
to create them yourself.

g.