Subject: Re: [RFC] I2C: fsl-i2c: make device probing configurable via FDT

From: Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:24:36 -0600

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:47:25PM +0200, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> Currently, the I2C buses are probed for HWMON I2C devices, which might
> not be acceptable in same cases. This patch makes device probing
> configurable through the property "probe" of the FDT I2C device node:
>
>       i2c@3000 {
>            ...
>            compatible = "fsl-i2c";
>            probe;
> 	    ...
>        };

You need to add documentation to booting-without-of.txt about what the
'probe' property means.  Also, 'probe' is a pretty generic term being
used in an i2c specific context.  Can you prefix it with i2c or
something to protect the namespace?  'i2c-probe' perhaps?

> Assuming that systems using fsl-i2c should have proper platform data,
> probing is disabled by default. Unfortunately, that's not the case and
> various DTS files would require to be updated.

This comment doesn't seem to be correct.

> ---
> arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_soc.c |    4 ++++
> drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-mpc.c  |   17 ++++++++++++++---
> include/linux/fsl_devices.h   |    1 +

This will need to be reworked for current top of tree.  i2c-mpc
dependence on fsl_soc.c has been removed.

Thanks,
g.