Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] [PATCH 3/3] ALSA SoC: Add Texas Instruments TLV320AIC26 codec driver

From: Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:31:53 -0600

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 06:36:10PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 12:00:18AM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:

> It wouldn't be the only driver not to implement PLL configuration in
> this way so that's probably be OK for an initial merge.  What's expected
> for PLL configuration is that you implement the DAI set_pll() operation
> in the codec driver, allowing machine drivers to configure the PLL when
> they wish.

okay

> The power configuration should be fixed, though.  Normally drivers
> either fully implement DAPM (including set_bias_level()) or power
> everything in the codec up when the driver is loaded.  At the minute
> what the driver is doing appears to be powering the codec up in both
> _hw_params() and _probe() but never powering anything down - if that is
> the case then probably all you need to do is remove the extra power up
> from hw_params(), giving you the simple option.

done

> > Hmmm, I haven't been able to find this; either in the code or on a live
> > running system.  Where is the common reg dump implemented.
> 
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/soc-audio/codec_reg

Yikes.  The AIC26 has registers all over the place and most of them are
empty.  The codec_reg attribute handling means I need to maintain a
cache of the entire register file; not just the part that is actually
used.  Oh well; I can work around it.

Thanks,
g.