Subject: Re: ide pmac breakage

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:48:28 +0200

On Thursday 31 July 2008, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 21:11 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > 
> > > Note that there shouldn't be anything fundamentally different from
> > > ide-pmac here vs. something like pcmcia IDE cards... do you have one
> > of
> > > these to test with ?
> > 
> > Nope and I really don't intend to have one.  I count on other people
> > to take some care of support for host drivers that they
> > maintain/use. ;)
> 
> Hrm... that's not a very sane approach. You have some infrastructure for
> adding / removing devices, in fact changes things in that area even, and

There seems to be some confusion between warm-plugging of IDE devices
and hot-plugging of IDE devices.

> not a single piece of HW to exercise those code path ? I don't ask you
> to get a powermac with a media-bay, but ide_cs seems to be a pretty
> important one that's part of what the ide maintainer should take care
> of... And I suspect it's going to exercise the same code path as
> mediabay.

I'm open for offers of co-maintaince of the code (which includes taking
over particular host drivers) and since you seem to have pretty good
insight into what ide maintainer should be doing I presume that you want
to be added to MAINTAINERS?