Subject: Re: [BUILD-FAILURE] 2.6.27-rc1-mm1 - allyesconfig build fails on powerpc

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:12:06 -0700

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:29:36 +1000 Tony Breeds <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 06:13:28PM +0530, Kamalesh Babulal wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> > 
> > make allyesconfig with 2.6.27-rc1-mm1 kernel on powerpc fails with build error
> 
> <snip>
> 
> Turning off GCOV "fixes" this.  Not really the best solution but at
> least it narrows doen the search effort.

Thanks.

> Peter,
> 	Can you have a look at how this can be fixed, if at all?
> 

Am not terribly happy with the state of the gcov patches.  They STILL
leave thousands of dead symlinks lying around after `make mrproper' and
generally seem to muck up the kbuild system a bit, although nothing
that a bit of Sam love wouldn't fix.

Plus it breaks the build on a few architectures (branch out of range,
mainly), but that's a fairly minor thing which could even be worked
around in Kconfig (disable the offending code if gcov is enabled)