Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 2/3] of: add of_lookup_stdout() utility function

From: Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:41:21 -0600

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 04:12:54PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 11:46:47AM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Grant Likely <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > From: Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
> > >
> > > of_lookup_stdout() is useful for figuring out what device to use as output
> > > for early boot progress messages.  It returns the node pointed to by the
> > > linux,stdout-path property in the chosen node.
> > 
> > I thought linux,stdout-path is deprecated are we're supposed to be
> > using the aliases node instead?
> 
> During the ePAPR process this idea came up - standardising a 'stdout'
> alias that would replace linux,stdout-path in chosen.  However that
> was done in ignorance of the history of the linux,stdout-path property
> and its connection to the stdout ihandle in chosen.  In any case, the
> proposed 'stdout' alias didn't make the final cut for ePAPR, so how to
> address this for flat-tree systems is still an open question.

So, seeing as settling on a way to determine stdout still up in the air,
it probably makes sense to condense that code down to a single
authoritative function so that changes in this area are contained in one
place.  For now, I'll stick with decoding linux,stdout-path and on Sparc
decoding the ihandle with the expectation that there will be further
refinements to be made.

g.