Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove legacy kdump kernel build support

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:25:40 +0400

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 06:18:28PM +0530, Mohan Kumar M wrote:
> Remove legacy kdump kernel build support
> 
> This patch removes legacy kdump kernel build support(i.e compiling  a
> kdump kernel at a fixed hardcoded address 32MB). With the relocatable
> kernel support its now possible to use the regular kernel binary for
> capturing the dump also. Relocatable kdump kernel does not require
> trampoline code for exception handlers. It removes kdump.h as most of the
> macros defined in kdump.h are not used any more. Also the relocatable
> kdump kernel allows us to load kdump kernel any where as specified by
> crashkernel parameter instead of hardcoded address 32MB.

Can we leave the legacy support for a while? On PPC32 we don't have
the relocatable kernel support, but we have kdump patches floating
around[1], and they use the `hard-coded values' approach, so far.

I'm not sure if anybody is currently working on a PPC32 kernel
relocation support.. but for sure it will take some time to implement.

Thanks,

[1] http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-August/061161.html

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2