Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix linking modules against crtsavres.o

From: Bernhard Reutner-Fischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:15:31 +0200

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:07:27AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
>
> On Oct 16, 2008, at 10:24 AM, Grant Likely wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 09:51:25PM +0200, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer  
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> [ http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11143 has it all]

>> This patch solves the problem for me.  Without it building modules
>> before the kernel proper fails to find crtsavres.o when linking.

I did not install the .o nor it's prerequisites so only fixed building
modules in tree. For building external modules these
LDFLAGS_MODULE_PREREQ would need to be installed too, as noted by Olaf
in the bug. I do not need them to be installed myself, so please take
care of it if you have time to do so.

>> Ben, Paul or Sam, could you please look at this and make comment
>> if it is the right approach?
>>
>> I also agree that this should be back ported to the stable series
>>
>> (Note: for some reason this patch did *not* show up in patchwork).
>
> because it was sent as an attachment.

Indeed. Sorry for that..