Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/7] gpiolib: implement dev_gpiochip_{add,remove} calls

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:42:43 +0400

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 05:03:47AM +0400, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:29:20AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > 
> > > But it doesn't work as a module (i.e. OF-specific bits should be
> > > always in-kernel).
> > 
> > Why not ?
> 
> If say "X" driver loads prior to bus-notifier module (where we fill
> the platform data), then X.0 device will try to probe w/o platform
> data and will fail. The only way to re-probe things is to rmmod X &&
> insmod of_pdata_filler_X && insmod X. So things depend on the module
> load order.

Thinking about it more, I started recalling other issues. The bus
notifier chain doesn't replay previous events, so we also have to
register the notifier before the _devices_ are registered. And this
ruins the whole approach. :-/ Yeah, that's why I abandoned the bus
notifier idea.

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2