Subject: [PATCH 0/3 RFC] MMC SPI support for OpenFirmware platforms

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:55:46 +0300

Hi all,

Here are the bindings, again. Still RFC.

This patch series depends on:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/16/250
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/24/416 
+ of_gpio_flags enum (Trent Piepho will post an updated patch soon,
I believe).

Pierre, the approach is somewhat similar to this one:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/26/135
Posted few months ago.

I know you don't like it, but I ask you to reconsider it. The
I2C and SPI cases are similar, and recently we tried to write
bindings for some I2C GPIO controllers.

There we've learned that we:

1. Don't like the bus notifiers approach b/c we can't place the OF
   code into the module.
   http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/21/425
   Hacks are possible, but they're are ugly.
2. Don't want to write new drivers to solely handle the platform
   data:
   http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/28/257
   http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/28/268

And personally I don't want to do refactoring for every driver that
we'd want to use with the OpenFirmware...

If I understood correctly, for GPIO controllers David agreed that
we can live with the platform data accessors, at least for now:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/23/24

And when/if we'll find something better I'll be the first who
will offer help to convert the bindings code to this "something
better".

Thanks,

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2