Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] rtc: add rtc_systohc for ntp use

From: Alessandro Zummo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 00:05:56 +0100

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:57:28 -0800
David Brownell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yeah, we should have one of these.  :)

 :) great! now let's see if we can get others
 to agree!

> A better default might be to update all the RTCs on the system.
> 
> I'm thinking of my trusty test-case here:  rtc0 is highly functional
> (including wake from RTC alarm) but not battery backed, while rtc1
> is battery backed but only tracks time.  NTP really needs to update
> both of them ... rtc0 since that's what's used most of the time,
> and also rtc1 since that's what actually *stores* the time during
> power off cycles.

 well, let's start with one... we all lived with one rtc until
 a couple of year ago :)

> > +static int rtc_systohc(struct rtc_time *tm)
> 
> I think "static" will lose, especially since ...

 wooops!

-- 

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy

  http://www.towertech.it