Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] powerpc: dynamic ftrace port

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:20:09 +0100

* Steven Rostedt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > 
> >  1) I removed the changes to recordmcount.pl.  This is not a PowerPC
> >     change, although PowerPC needs it for dynamic ftrace. But
> >     the changes here can go via linux-tip.
> 
> Ingo,
> 
> I found that the recordmcount.pl change conflicts with a commit in 
> linux-next, which is not in tip nor mainline. The commit is:
> 
>    11ebca4a3f8337de2f4d1300bd307851d1191d53
>    sh: dynamic ftrace support.
> 
> Seems that this change came in through the sh repo. I have already 
> resolved the conflicts with my updates for PowerPC with this commit. 
> I can put this in a separate branch against linux-next if you like.
> 
> I would like to get the changes to recordmcount.pl for PowerPC in 
> linux-next soon, so I can also add a small clean up of this code. 
> Jim Radfort has some updates as well for his port to arm.

Could you please extract the sh bits from 11ebca4a so that we can 
apply it to tip/tracing/* standalone? It makes sense to carry it 
without having the other bits of the SH changes.

It will collide in linux-next but it will be a same-content collision 
with an easy enough (perhaps even automatic) resolution.

	Ingo