Subject: Re: [U-Boot] NAND only (no NOR)

From: Stefan Roese <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 06:48:57 +0100

On Wednesday 03 December 2008, Sean MacLennan wrote:
> We use a 256M NAND on the PIKA Warp appliance and where unable to boot
> u-boot from the NAND. It worked on a smaller 64M NAND.

Currently you need to define the page-size of the NAND used for booting (512 
bytes vs. 2k). The 2k 4xx NAND booting support is was done about 1/2 a year 
ago. So perhaps you tested this when this 2k support was not available yet.

> So we put our FPGA and u-boot in a small NOR. The kernel, rootfs and
> other files are on the NAND.

Yes, I would recommend to do it this way if possible. A small NOR for U-Boot 
and environment and everything else in NAND. This makes things much easier. 
But I understand that this is sometimes a problem with space (2 FLASH chips) 
and costs.

Best regards,
Stefan

=====================================================================
DENX Software Engineering GmbH,     MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: [email-masked]
=====================================================================