Subject: Re: Long boot delay on 460EX with 2.6.28-rc8

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:02:56 +0300

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 02:29:52AM -0800, Felix Radensky wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I'm experiencing a long (around 20 sec) delay from the moment
> u-boot-1.3.4 passes control to linux and until the first kernel message
> appears on console.

I saw somewhat similar behaviour on 83xx target, the cause was
that my .config file contained bogus UDBG_RTAS_CONSOLE=y symbol
(or was it PPC_EARLY_DEBUG_RTAS_PANEL=y? Or HVC_UDBG=y? I don't
quite remember).

Obviously, on 83xx we don't have RTAS or HVC stuff, but kernel
didn't oops or hang completely, it was busy with executing various
delays in those drivers and then just continued to load.

OTOH, it might be that the kernel just calibrates the delay loop
for too long, and you actually don't have any early messages
support enabled so you don't see what the kernel does at the moment.

You could provide dmesg and .config file to make things clearer, so
at least somebody with 460EX boards could try to reproduce the
result.

Thanks,

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2