Subject: Re: Long boot delay on 460EX with 2.6.28-rc8

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:01:36 +0300

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:51:29PM -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
>
> On Dec 18, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 02:29:52AM -0800, Felix Radensky wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm experiencing a long (around 20 sec) delay from the moment
>>> u-boot-1.3.4 passes control to linux and until the first kernel  
>>> message
>>> appears on console.
>>
>> I saw somewhat similar behaviour on 83xx target, the cause was
>> that my .config file contained bogus UDBG_RTAS_CONSOLE=y symbol
>> (or was it PPC_EARLY_DEBUG_RTAS_PANEL=y? Or HVC_UDBG=y? I don't
>> quite remember).
>>
>> Obviously, on 83xx we don't have RTAS or HVC stuff, but kernel
>> didn't oops or hang completely, it was busy with executing various
>> delays in those drivers and then just continued to load.
>
> Why are these drivers even doing anything on 83xx?  Seems like they need 
> something to bind against or some detection of "HW".

Early console/UDBG is known to cause problems if enabled on
inappropriate hardware. They start working very early, so it's hard
for them to do the hw detection (no device tree yet, I presume).

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2