Subject: [PATCH 10/10] powerpc/44x: 44x TLB doesn't need "Guarded" set for all pages

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:13:54 +1100

After discussing with chip designers, it appears that it's not
necessary to set G everywhere on 440 cores. The various core
errata related to prefetch should be sorted out by firmware by
disabling icache prefetching in CCR0. We add the workaround to
the kernel however just in case oooold firmwares don't do it.

This is valid for -all- 4xx core variants. Later ones hard wire
the absence of prefetch but it doesn't harm to clear the bits
in CCR0 (they should already be cleared anyway).

We still leave G=1 on the linear mapping for now, we need to
stop over-mapping RAM to be able to remove it.

Signed-off-by: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
---

 arch/powerpc/kernel/head_44x.S |   12 +++++++++++-
 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

--- linux-work.orig/arch/powerpc/kernel/head_44x.S	2008-12-10 16:11:35.000000000 +1100
+++ linux-work/arch/powerpc/kernel/head_44x.S	2008-12-10 16:29:08.000000000 +1100
@@ -69,6 +69,17 @@ _ENTRY(_start);
 	li	r24,0		/* CPU number */
 
 /*
+ * In case the firmware didn't do it, we apply some workarounds
+ * that are good for all 440 core variants here
+ */
+	mfspr	r3,SPRN_CCR0
+	rlwinm	r3,r3,0,0,27	/* disable icache prefetch */
+	isync
+	mtspr	SPRN_CCR0,r3
+	isync
+	sync
+
+/*
  * Set up the initial MMU state
  *
  * We are still executing code at the virtual address
@@ -570,7 +581,6 @@ finish_tlb_load:
 	rlwimi	r10,r12,29,30,30		/* DIRTY -> SW position */
 	and	r11,r12,r10			/* Mask PTE bits to keep */
 	andi.	r10,r12,_PAGE_USER		/* User page ? */
-	ori	r11,r11,_PAGE_GUARDED		/* 440 errata, needs G set */
 	beq	1f				/* nope, leave U bits empty */
 	rlwimi	r11,r11,3,26,28			/* yes, copy S bits to U */
 1:	tlbwe	r11,r13,PPC44x_TLB_ATTRIB	/* Write ATTRIB */