Subject: Re: [PATCH] tracing: Fix TRACING_SUPPORT dependency

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:39:04 +0300

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:04:28PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> 
> * Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > commit 40ada30f9621fbd831ac2437b9a2a399aad34b00 ("tracing: clean 
> > up menu"), despite the "clean up" in its purpose, introduced 
> > behavioural change for Kconfig symbols: we no longer able to 
> > select tracing support on PPC32 (because IRQFLAGS_SUPPORT isn't 
> > yet implemented).
> 
> Could you please solve this by implementing proper irqflag-tracing 
> support? It's been available upstream for almost three years. It's 
> needed for lockdep support as well, etc.

Breaking things via clean up patches is an interesting method of
encouraging something to implement. ;-)

Surely I'll look into implementing irqflags tracing, but considering
that no one ever needed this for almost three years, and that we
explicitly have the code to deal with tracing-w/o-irqflags, can we
please restore the old behaviour?

At least for 2.6.30, because I don't think I'll have enough time to
implement/test/push irqflags tracing support in time for 2.6.30-rc1.

Thanks,

p.s.
It would make more sense if 40ada30f's commit message would state
that tracing w/o irqflags is now obsolete, or better, if it was
discussed on some mailinglist, so that we'd have some time to
adapt the architecture-specific code.

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2