Subject: Re: Regarding the linkstation defconfig

From: Rogério Brito <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:23:12 -0300

Dear Guennadi, and Kumar.

On Apr 24 2009, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > Guennadi, since you seem to be the one responsible for the
> > linkstation/kurobox in the kernel,
> 
> That's not howI interpret my role in linkstation development /
> support.

Sorry. I thought that you were. I have, nonetheless, interest in helping
and understanding more about the platform.

> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >  01. why is anticipatory the default scheduler for linkstations when CFQ
> >      is the default scheduler for the rest of the kernel?
(...)
> >  12. wouldn't it be a good thing to enable CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME?
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> 
> As I already replied to you earlier, I am not particularly interested in 
> fine-tuning and optimisation of defconfigs. IMHO *_defconfigs are only 
> examples of board configuration, that are known to build and work. The 
> rest is up to the user / packager.

IMVHO, defconfigs should be examples of board configuration, known to
build and work (like you said) *and* be, in a way, exemplary to the
user/packager.

> > Again, please, forgive my ignorance here regarding the questions above.
> > I'm really looking for some clarification and to get things in shape
> > both on my systems and in the default kernel configuration, in general.
> 
> Feel free to submit patches with reasoning to the powerpc ML and 
> respective maintainer as per MAINTAINERS file.

I'm doing that as a reply to this message.

Thanks for your guiding, Rogério Brito.

-- 
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{mackenzie,ime.usp}.br : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito : http://meusite.mackenzie.com.br/rbrito
Projects: algorithms.berlios.de : lame.sf.net : vrms.alioth.debian.org