Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: minimizing the configuration of linkstation_defconfig

From: Rogério Brito <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:48:14 -0300

On Apr 28 2009, Kumar Gala wrote:
> I'm pretty sure we need this for old initrd style ramdisks so I'd prefer 
> we leave it enabled.

Oh, for oldstyle it is needed. You're right. It is better to keep it in
the defconfig. Just drop the hunk from the patch that I sent you.

>> Thanks. The MTD & PHYMAP_COMPAT are the things that have been bugging
>> me and my main reason to keep with the bleeding edge kernels is to
>> get things whey they were (regarding mtd) as in kernel 2.6.28.
>>
>> As I have no experience with MTD devices, I would appreciate a
>> reference to their workings... All that I know is that all my
>> /dev/mtd* devices are gone if I boot a 2.6.29* kernel.
>>
>> Of course, I can do a git bisect process (since the MTD subsystem
>> doesn't work as it did in the past even if I enable PHYMAP_COMPAT and
>> put the same settings there, quite unfortunately).
>
> ok.. I killed my kurobox long ago so can't be much help here.

Oh... :-(

I will post the problems that I get with MTD on my kurobox so that
people from both the linux-mtd/linuxppc-dev lists can see what is
happening and suggest some fixes.

Thanks, Rogério Brito.

-- 
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{mackenzie,ime.usp}.br : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito : http://meusite.mackenzie.com.br/rbrito
Projects: algorithms.berlios.de : lame.sf.net : vrms.alioth.debian.org