Subject: Re: Using archaic I2C with OF

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 18:04:03 +0200

> Post this on the i2c list. Jean has made an effort to convert all
> drivers. He must have missed that one.

What Jean did was converting all drivers who used the legacy i2c-binding to use
the new binding which is a lot better suited to the driver model. The above
mentioned driver already uses the new binding.

The problem coming up here is another issue and also long standing and not yet
solved. There are drivers which require platform_data with function pointers.
You cannot encode function pointers to the device tree.

One solution is to create a custom driver for your board with the needed
specific function and create a platform device from there. Sometimes it
works to add a bit more info to the device tree (e.g. some gpios) and
parse it via an of_wrapper around the platform driver.

Regards,

   Wolfram

-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |
Industrial Linux Solutions                 | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |