Subject: 2.6.30 kernel panic with any network driver

From: John Linn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:13:31 -0600

I just merged in 2.6.30 into our tree and I'm seeing this only when I
have a network driver built into the kernel, and it doesn't seem to
matter which network driver.

Maybe I missed something I need to update in our network drivers to
match the kernel.

Thanks for any help,

John

console [ttyS0] enabled

brd: module loaded

loop: module loaded

Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address 0x75686369

Faulting instruction address: 0xc01c3e34

Oops: Kernel access of bad area, sig: 11 [#1]

PREEMPT Xilinx Virtex440

Modules linked in:

NIP: c01c3e34 LR: c01c2ab4 CTR: 00000000

REGS: cf831dc0 TRAP: 0300   Not tainted  (2.6.30)

MSR: 00029000 <EE,ME,CE>  CR: 84284324  XER: 40000020

DEAR: 75686369, ESR: 00000000

TASK = cf82f8a0[1] 'swapper' THREAD: cf830000

GPR00: c01c2ab4 cf831e70 cf82f8a0 cf87b3a8 c034e5a4 00000000 c01c2a80
00000001

GPR08: cfbe69d8 c034dd98 00000f2b cf821778 84284342 fd9781f4 f6f6dff7
6adffffe

GPR16: d7f40173 bbd35ff7 3ef7fbff fff5d3f7 ffffffff 0059dac0 ffff006f
00000000

GPR24: 00000000 00000001 c034dd98 cf0416e0 cf87b3a0 cf87b3dc c034e5a4
75686369

NIP [c01c3e34] platform_match+0x20/0xa8

LR [c01c2ab4] __driver_attach+0x34/0xa8

Call Trace:

[cf831e70] [c027a394] klist_next+0x10c/0x120 (unreliable)

[cf831e90] [c01c2ab4] __driver_attach+0x34/0xa8

[cf831eb0] [c01c123c] bus_for_each_dev+0x5c/0x98

[cf831ee0] [c01c243c] driver_attach+0x24/0x34

[cf831ef0] [c01c2050] bus_add_driver+0x18c/0x264

[cf831f10] [c01c2fa8] driver_register+0x6c/0x170

[cf831f30] [c031f8cc] xemaclite_init+0x1c/0x4c

[cf831f50] [c00011ac] do_one_initcall+0x34/0x1a0

[cf831fd0] [c0307848] kernel_init+0xa0/0x104

[cf831ff0] [c000e188] kernel_thread+0x4c/0x68

Instruction dump:

This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named recipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be proprietary, privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email message or any attachments. Delete this email message and any attachments immediately.