Subject: Re: Best hardware platform for native compiling...

From: Olof Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:18:07 -0500

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:47:39PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 14:00 +0200, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> > Well, I got one recently here in Spain. Shipping charges are fairly 
> > large (it's not exactly a light and compact machine). But the current 
> > dollar exchange rate helps ;-)
> > 
> > Now I have not yet found the way to install Debian on it
> > (it refuses to boot Debian's CDROM), but I have not had
> > time to investigate either.
> 
> It uses SLOF which should be capable of decent netbooting, so it should
> be possible to either netboot yaboot and have it load the kernel and
> initramfs, or maybe make a zImage with both included and netboot that.

Placing the debian (netinst) installer ramdisk and kernel on the /boot
partition and booting it from there should work too (after adding it to
the yaboot config).

-Olof