Subject: Re: [Bugme-new] [Bug 14021] New: hfsplus caused data loss

From: Rogério Brito <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 19:17:10 -0300

Hi, Andrew.

On Aug 20 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 02:17:21 GMT
> [email-masked] wrote:
> > ,----
> > | [30991.501804] loop: module loaded
> > | [30991.513337] hfs: create hidden dir...
> > | [39897.867830] hfs: create hidden dir...
> > | [39960.061622] hfs: splitting index node...
> > `----
> > 
> > No stack traces, no nothing. Oh, I still have the disk image that I
> > created, if it is of any interest.
>
> Gee.  Nobody really does much maintenance work on hfs/hfsplus any more.

Right.

I think that I could run some stress tests (say, like the exhaustive
regression tests that the ntfs-3g developers use), just to get some
basic functionality on HFS+ working.

> I cc'ed the ppc guys as I expect that most HFS users are over there.

Thanks once again, Andrew.

> It seems like a pretty gross failure - others should be hitting it.
> 
> I wonder if it's a weird interaction with the loop driver.

Just to make it clear: the reason why I loop-mounted the filesystem was
just to work with a low-risk situation and submit the image to the
recently "ported" fsck, just to get a little bit more confidence that I
didn't mess with the userspace side of things.

But, then, this surprise.

I had some minor inconsistencies with the HFS+ driver in the past, but
they were fixed by running the fsck.hfsplus that I packaged and I didn't
bother reporting it before. My mistake. :-(

Thanks, Rogério Brito.

-- 
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{mackenzie,ime.usp}.br : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito : http://meusite.mackenzie.com.br/rbrito
Projects: algorithms.berlios.de : lame.sf.net : vrms.alioth.debian.org