Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] i2c/chips: Remove deprecated pcf8575-driver

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:04:19 +0200

> This patch removes the documentation file
> Documentation/i2c/chips/pcf8575 while there is no documentation under
> Documentation/ for the drivers/gpio/pcf857x.c driver. Shouldn't proper
> documentation for the pcf857x driver be added to the kernel tree
> before the pcf8575 driver is removed ?

I considered moving the documentation, but realized:

1st part is URLs for datasheets. Well, URLs easily grow outdated and those
datasheets are easily to find using your favourite search engine.

2nd part is a short description of the chips which is IMHO sufficently covered
in drivers/gpio/Kconfig.

3rd part (Detection) and 4th part (sysfs-interface) are obsolete for the new
drivers. The gpiolib interface again is covered in Documentation/gpio.txt

So I concluded to simply drop the documentation.

Regards,

   Wolfram

-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |
Industrial Linux Solutions                 | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |