Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 00/12] Merge common OpenFirmware device tree code

From: Brad Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:57:58 -0700

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 09:52:43AM -0400, Sam Creasey wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:18:04PM +1000, Julian Calaby wrote:
> > On the subject of merging code, I know that the SUN3 code in m68k uses
> > a similar prom interface to the sparc32 code. (and I've also
> > considered unifying that and ... well ... see above) Does anyone know
> > if it has an OpenFirmware interface for it's devices? Is OF on SUN3
> > even remotely useful? Does Linux on SUN3 even work with modern
> > kernels?
> 
> Sun3 doesn't have OF, though I've got some dormant patches to add an
> OF emulation layer to make it easier to reuse Sparc drivers on
> Sun3...   Never finished enough to submit, so it probably shouldn't
> affect anything you're doing here.

I was also looking at using the OF code on m68k, but for a different
reason. My goal was to get macio_bus working so we can merge a few
of the m68k Mac drivers into the ppc Mac drivers. The simplest way
to do that seemed to be supporting OF since macio_dev is a wrapper
for of_device. It was also a nice way to build up a table of all the
onboard devices in memory. Hopefully it would enable better user-space
device detection as well.

I got the framework built against an older kernel, but it wasn't enough
to be useful at that point. This set of patches could help quite a bit.

	Brad Boyer
	[email-masked]