Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/8] spi_mpc8xxx: Turn qe_mode into flags

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:41:45 +0300

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 04:03:36PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
[...]
> This patch breaks my 6xx config:
> 
> /home/benh/linux-powerpc-test/arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc832x_rdb.c: In function ‘of_fsl_spi_probe’:
> /home/benh/linux-powerpc-test/arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc832x_rdb.c:77: error: ‘struct fsl_spi_platform_data’ has no member named ‘qe_
> 
> The reason is that the mpc832x_rdb.c code still uses the legacy probing
> method. The fix is not totally trivial as the new flags are defined inside
> spi_mpc8xxx.c

Thanks for noticing. I indeed forgot about the legacy stuff. :-/

> If you are going to keep the flags in the .c file you probably also want
> to remove the platform device definition from fsl_devices.h anyways as
> there's no point exposing to the world a structure with a "flags" member
> if the definition of those flags isn't also exposed.

Yep. Though, IIRC Joakim asked to keep the legacy bindings for some
time (until we implement SPI chip-select framework?)... so for now
we'll have to leave we the exposed flags.

Thanks again,

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2