Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] powerpc: Move VMX and VSX asm code to vector.S

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 09:53:58 +0100

Dear Benjamin Herrenschmidt,

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> Currently, load_up_altivec and give_up_altivec are duplicated
> in 32-bit and 64-bit. This creates a common implementation that
> is moved away from head_32.S, head_64.S and misc_64.S and into
> vector.S, using the same macros we already use for our common
> implementation of load_up_fpu.
> 
> I also moved the VSX code over to vector.S though in that case
> I didn't make it build on 32-bit (yet).

It seems this commit broke ALTIVEC-enablked 32 bit systems. For
example, when trying to build 86xx/mpc8641_hpcn_defconfig I get:

arch/powerpc/kernel/vector.S: Assembler messages:
arch/powerpc/kernel/vector.S:61: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `cmpdi'
make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel/vector.o] Error 1

Segher suggests to s/cmpdi/cmplwi/ which indeed seems to work (atleast
it allows me to build the kernel image).

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

-- 
DENX Software Engineering GmbH,     MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [email-masked]
Wherever you go...There you are.                    - Buckaroo Banzai