Subject: Re: resurrecting the mvme5100 ppc platform

From: Gabriel Paubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:21:16 +0100

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 01:39:35PM +0000, Paride Legovini wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm just started working on some mvme5100 boards, and so I discovered
> that support for these cards has been dropped with linux-2.6.27 due to
> lack of interest. Here is the relevent post on linuxppc-embedded:
> 
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg30049.html
> 
> Well, I'd really like to see support for the mvme5100 to be reintegrated
> in the kernel. I'm willing to help on this, but at the moment I don't
> know how much work is to be done, as I don't know how the switch from
> ppc to powerpc changed things.

A lot, these are PreP platforms. I'm using several MVME24xx/26xx/27xx
here (some have been running continously over a decade). They have 
a lot of similarities with MVME5100 if I remember correctly. 

I don't have time right now (especially if I am alone) to write 
support for them, but I am interested in running a more recent
kernel, provided it's not too bloated (some machines only have
16MB of RAM).

	Regards,
	Gabriel