Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] of/gpio: Implement GPIOLIB notifier hooks

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 22:16:20 +0300

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 10:13:11AM -0700, Grant Likely wrote:
[...]
> > +static int __init of_gpio_notifier_init(void)
> > +{
> > +       return blocking_notifier_chain_register(&gpio_notifier, &of_gpio_nb);
> > +}
> > +arch_initcall(of_gpio_notifier_init);
> 
> Another concern;  if any gpio chips get registered before this
> arch_initcall (not sure if it is possible or not), then those chips
> won't get registered with the of gpio infrastructure.

Technically, it is possible, but registering usual GPIO controllers
in arch_initcall feels not quite right approach in the first place
(and, btw, it won't work most of the time, because even early drivers
do not register itself earlier than subsys_initcall).

And arch gpio controllers (like QE GPIO) are usually device-less,
and they use of_mm_gpiochip_add(), so we fully control them.

Plus I don't see any reason why we couldn't move
of_gpio_notifier_init() into, say, postcore_initcall, if we ever
need it.

Thanks,

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2