Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] [PATCH 1/2] powerpc: add platform registration for ALSA SoC drivers

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 21:59:24 +0100

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 03:46:04PM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:

[Reflowed into 80 columns; please fix your mail client.]

> > (I've omitted the DMA nodes and some irrelevant details)  This is
> > enough information for a simplistic driver registration that probably
> > makes a lot of assumptions.  Such as the ssi represents a single
> > logical sound device.  It won't handle complex representations, but in

> Why would I ever represent the SSI as anything but a single logical
> sound device?  Let ALSA handle synchronizing multiple streams together
> if it wants to.

...

> > 		dai-links = <&ssi1 0 &codec 0
> >                            &ssi1 1 &codec 1>;
> > 		[...]

> I don't know when I would ever do this.  The two SSI devices are
> completely independent.  Why would I bind them together into one
> "device"?

It's entirely possible that if the board designer intended the verious
SSIs to be used in concert they've done something like cross wire the
clocks which creates a board-specific interrelationship that needs to be
dealt with.