Subject: PATA/legacy IDE subsystem on PowerMac

From: JJDaNiMoTh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 21:16:00 +0200

Hello,

I hope I've posted to the right list.
I'm the maintainer of the linux kernel in ArchlinuxPPC [1].

We actually set statically the support for the PowerMac on-board IDE support 
(under ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED) ), and the disk is recognized 
correctly (hda*).
If we try to remove this legacy support, enabling Serial ATA and Parallel ATA 
drivers --> Apple PowerMac/PowerBook internal 'MacIO' IDE (NEW) statically, 
the kernel doesn't recognize the partition on the HD. We tried different 
powerbook, and the result is the same.

Because we haven't log, I take two photos [2] [3].

With legacy stuff, I used hda6 as root device: with PATA, neither hda{5,6,7} or 
sda{5,6,7} work.
As you can see from the photos, seems that the hd isn't attached to any device 
under /dev.
With request I could upload somewhere the configs (working and not working) 
used, but they differ only for the things above.

Please let me in the right direction.
Many thanks to all.

[1] http://www.archlinuxppc.org
[2] http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5787/dsc04701x.jpg
[3] http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6476/dsc04701v.jpg