Subject: Re: Problem with Infiniband adapter on IBM p550

From: Anton Blanchard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 00:34:44 +1100

Hi,

> > Now, I think this is the problem.
> > 
> > The "assigned-addresses" property seems to indicate that the
> > firmware only assigned BAR 4 and didn't assign anything to the
> > other ones.
> > 
> > I don't know why, but it definitely looks like a firmware bug to me.
> > On those machines, PCI resource assignment is under hypervisor
> > control and so Linux cannot re-assign missing resources itself.
> > 
> > I'll see if I can find a FW person to shed some light on this.
> > 
> > Can you provide me (privately maybe) with the FW version on the
> > machine ?
> 
> Ben,
> 
> Have you found out anything more on this (firmware) bug?

Firmware has the concept of "super slots" which allow larger memory
windows and TCE tables. Section 3.4.3 explains it:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4095.pdf

Anton