Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/6] nvram: Capture oops/panic reports in NVRAM

From: Jim Keniston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 20:15:10 -0800

This patch series enables p Series systems to capture oops and panic
reports from the printk buffer into NVRAM, where they can be examined
after reboot using the nvram command.

Patches 1-2 implement the basic feature, and patch 4 adds compression,
so we can capture more of the printk buffer.  Patches 3 and 5-6 add
refinements.  Patch 5 is not powerpc-specific, and I plan to pursue that
independently on LKML.

This series applies atop the little bug-fix series I posted two days
ago --

"More ppc64 nvram code cleanup"
http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2010-November/087009.html

-- which in turn applies atop Ben Herrenschmidt's Aug. 2 patch set --

"[RFC] Clean up ppc64 nvram code"
http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2010-August/084601.html

My patches have been tested against 2.6.37-rc1.
---

Jim Keniston (6):
      Shrink our zlib_deflate workspace from 268K to 24K
      Slim down zlib_deflate workspace when possible
      Add compression to fit more printk output into NVRAM
      Always capture start of oops report to NVRAM
      Capture oops/panic reports in ibm,oops-log partition
      Generalize code for OS partitions in NVRAM

 arch/powerpc/include/asm/nvram.h       |    3 
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/rtas.h        |    6 
 arch/powerpc/kernel/nvram_64.c         |   31 ++
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/nvram.c |  470 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 include/linux/zlib.h                   |   14 +
 lib/zlib_deflate/deflate.c             |   33 ++
 lib/zlib_deflate/deflate_syms.c        |    1 
 lib/zlib_deflate/defutil.h             |   17 +
 8 files changed, 504 insertions(+), 71 deletions(-)

--
Jim Keniston
IBM Linux Technology Center
Beaverton, OR