Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] powerpc: pcm030/032: add pagesize to dts

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:11:56 +0100

> > >I think you'd better drop the pagesize property altogether, and
> > >instead make the compatible string more specific (if needed at
> > >all. are there any 'catalyst,24c32' chips with pagesize != 32?)
> > 
> > Microchip makes a 24c32 part that looks pretty similar to the
> > catalyst part, but Microchip's has a 64-byte page size compared to
> > Catalyst's 32.
> 
> Well, when using microchip part, the compatible string would be
> "microchip,24c32", correct? Then we have all the information
> already, no need for the pagesize.

Hmm, there are myriads of I2C eeproms out there, this table would be enourmous.
Even worse, I seem to recall that I had once seen a manufacturer increasing the
page-size from one charge to the next without changing the part-number, so I
got this feeling "you can't map pagesize to manufacturer/type" which I still
have. Sadly, this was long ago, so I can't proof it right now. Will try to dig
up some datasheets when in the office tomorrow. In general, I2C EEPROMs are
really a mess, the basic access method is the same, but except that everything
else is possible :) Thus, this approach. Thus, this approach.

Regards,

   Wolfram

-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |
Industrial Linux Solutions                 | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |