Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add support for pt7c4338 (rtc device) in rtc-ds1307 driver

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:24:29 +0200

Hi, Priyanka,

> Yes, It is possible to directly use platform device 'ds1307' in device
> tree. 

Great, thanks for testing.

> But I have one query of how to capture the information that pericom,
> pt7c4338 device is compatible with dallas, ds1307. Can it be done in
> somewhere in some document or some code. Actually for pt7c4338 device

Yes, it should definately be documented in the source.

> driver, I actually started by asking if there is any already existing
> rtc device driver which is compatible with pericom pt7c4338 device on
> mailing list and as there was no answer or help then, I actually ended
> up writing device driver for that 

The first place where this should be mentioned is the datasheet of the
pt-chip, so you might ask the producer to add this information (don't
expect much to happen, though). For such generic devices, it is then
useful to look for similar register sets in existing drivers to find a
duplicate. Please don't forget that such lists are voluntary, there is
no guarantee that mails get replied to.

> and then on the suggestion using ds1307 device driver for this.

IIRC I asked you explicitly for the differences between the chips. If
there are none, you can use the driver directly, right? :)

Regards,

   Wolfram

-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |
Industrial Linux Solutions                 | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |