Subject: Re: [PATCH -v2] Audit: push audit success and retcode into arch ptrace.h

From: Oleg Nesterov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 18:36:53 +0200

On 06/07, Eric Paris wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 19:19 +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> >
> > With or without this patch, can't we call audit_syscall_exit() twice
> > if there is something else in _TIF_WORK_SYSCALL_EXIT mask apart from
> > SYSCALL_AUDIT ? First time it is called from asm, then from
> > syscall_trace_leave(), no?
> >
> > For example. The task has TIF_SYSCALL_AUDIT and nothing else, it does
> > system_call->auditsys->system_call_fastpath. What if it gets, say,
> > TIF_SYSCALL_TRACE before ret_from_sys_call?
>
> No harm is done calling twice.  The first call will do the real work and
> cleanup.  It will set a flag in the audit data that the work has been
> done (in_syscall == 0) thus the second call will then not do any real
> work and won't have anything to clean up.

Hmm... and I assume context->previous != NULL is not possible on x86_64.
OK, thanks.

And I guess, all CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL code in entry.S is only needed to
microoptimize the case when TIF_SYSCALL_AUDIT is the only reason for the
slow path. I wonder if it really makes the measureble difference...

Oleg.