Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] [v4] drivers/virt: introduce Freescale hypervisor management driver

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 09:38:22 +0200

On Thursday 09 June 2011 01:10:09 Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:45:54 -0500 Timur Tabi wrote:
> 
> > Add the drivers/virt directory, which houses drivers that support
> > virtualization environments, and add the Freescale hypervisor management
> > driver.
> 
> It can't go in linux/virt or linux/virt/fsl instead?  why drivers/ ?
> 
> or maybe linux/virt should be drivers/virt ?

See discussion for v2 of this patch. I suggested that drivers/firmware and virt/
as options, the counterarguments were that drivers/firmware is for passive
firmware as opposed to firmware that acts as a hypervisor, and that virt/ is
for the host side of hypervisors like kvm, not for guests.

The driver in here most closely resembles the xen dom0 model, where a
priviledged guest controls other guests, but unlike xen there is a single
driver file, so there is no need to have drivers/fsl-hv directory just
for this one file. We do have a number of other hypervisors that fit in the
same category, so they can be added here later.

	Arnd