Subject: Re: [regression] 3.0-rc boot failure -- bisected to cd4ea6ae3982

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:42:02 +0200

* Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Right, so we can either merge my scary patches now and have 3.0 
> > boot on 16+ node machines (and risk breaking something), or delay 
> > them until 3.0.1 and have 16+ node machines suffer a little.
> 
> So how much impact does your scary patch have on machines that 
> don't have multiple nodes? If it's a "the code isn't even called by 
> normal machines" kind of setup, I don't think I care a lot.

NUMA systems will trigger the new code - not just 'weird NUMA 
systems' - but i still think we could try the patches, the code looks 
straightforward and i booted them on NUMA systems and it all seems 
fine so far.

Anyway, i'll push the new sched/urgent branch out in a few minutes 
and then you'll see the full patches in the commit notifications.

Thanks,

	Ingo