Subject: Re: kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

From: "Roedel, Joerg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:03:32 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 05:33:00AM -0400, David Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:14:26AM +0200, Roedel, Joerg wrote:

> > I don't see a reason to make this meta-grouping static. It would harm
> > flexibility on x86. I think it makes things easier on power but there
> > are options on that platform to get the dynamic solution too.
> 
> I think several people are misreading what Ben means by "static".  I
> would prefer to say 'persistent', in that the meta-groups lifetime is
> not tied to an fd, but they can be freely created, altered and removed
> during runtime.

Even if it can be altered at runtime, from a usability perspective it is
certainly the best to handle these groups directly in qemu. Or are there
strong reasons to do it somewhere else?

	Joerg

-- 
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632