Subject: Re: kilauea compilation breaks with v3.3 kernel and ELDK 4.2

From: Tony Breeds <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 16:28:29 +1000

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 12:01:55PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Ok, I've asked Tony to have a look at splitting the build decision
> in arch/powerpc/boot along the same lines as the CPU families... ie only
> wrappers for platforms potentially supported by the built kernel. That
> should fix it.

Please try this patch.  Only lightly tested here.  I haven't "split up"
src-wlib yet as I wanted to verify I'm on the right track.

From e0b1ac84bfd539482bc88b943724e577e6b8dfb3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Tony Breeds <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 16:20:35 +1000
Subject: [PATCH] powerpc/boot: Only build board support files when required.

Currently we build all board files regardless of the final zImage
target.  This is sub-optimal (in terms on compilation) and leads to
problems in one platform needlessly causing failures for other
platforms.

Use the Kconfig variables to selectively construct this board files to
build.

Signed-off-by: Tony Breeds <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile |   56 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------
 1 files changed, 43 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile b/arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile
index e8461cb..a3c4ae0 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile
+++ b/arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile
@@ -69,19 +69,49 @@ src-wlib := string.S crt0.S crtsavres.S stdio.c main.c \
 		4xx.c ebony.c mv64x60.c mpsc.c mv64x60_i2c.c cuboot.c bamboo.c \
 		cpm-serial.c stdlib.c mpc52xx-psc.c planetcore.c uartlite.c \
 		fsl-soc.c mpc8xx.c pq2.c ugecon.c
-src-plat := of.c cuboot-52xx.c cuboot-824x.c cuboot-83xx.c cuboot-85xx.c holly.c \
-		cuboot-ebony.c cuboot-hotfoot.c epapr.c treeboot-ebony.c \
-		prpmc2800.c \
-		ps3-head.S ps3-hvcall.S ps3.c treeboot-bamboo.c cuboot-8xx.c \
-		cuboot-pq2.c cuboot-sequoia.c treeboot-walnut.c \
-		cuboot-bamboo.c cuboot-mpc7448hpc2.c cuboot-taishan.c \
-		fixed-head.S ep88xc.c ep405.c cuboot-c2k.c \
-		cuboot-katmai.c cuboot-rainier.c redboot-8xx.c ep8248e.c \
-		cuboot-warp.c cuboot-85xx-cpm2.c cuboot-yosemite.c simpleboot.c \
-		virtex405-head.S virtex.c redboot-83xx.c cuboot-sam440ep.c \
-		cuboot-acadia.c cuboot-amigaone.c cuboot-kilauea.c \
-		gamecube-head.S gamecube.c wii-head.S wii.c treeboot-iss4xx.c \
-		treeboot-currituck.c
+src-plat := of.c
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_40x),y)
+src-plat += fixed-head.S ep405.c cuboot-hotfoot.c treeboot-walnut.c \
+		cuboot-acadia.c cuboot-kilauea.c \
+		simpleboot.c virtex405-head.S virtex.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_44x),y)
+src-plat  += treeboot-ebony cuboot-ebony treeboot-bamboo cuboot-bamboo \
+		cuboot-sam440ep.c cuboot-sequoia.c cuboot-rainier.c \
+		cuboot-taishan.c cuboot-katmai.c cuboot-warp.c \
+		cuboot-yosemite.c treeboot-iss4xx.c treeboot-currituck.c \
+		simpleboot.c fixed-head.S virtex.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_8xx),y)
+src-plat  += cuboot-8xx.c fixed-head.S ep88xc.c redboot-8xx.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_PPC_MPC52xx),y)
+src-plat  += cuboot-52xx.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_PPC_82xx),y)
+src-plat  += cuboot-pq2.c fixed-head.S ep8248e.c cuboot-824x.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_PPC_82xx),y)
+src-plat  += cuboot-83xx.c fixed-head.S redboot-83xx.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_FSL_SOC_BOOKE),y)
+src-plat  += cuboot-85xx.c cuboot-85xx-cpm2.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_EMBEDDED6xx),y)
+src-plat  += cuboot-pq2.c cuboot-mpc7448hpc2.c cuboot-c2k.c \
+		gamecube-head.S gamecube.c wii-head.S wii.c holly.c \
+		prpmc2800.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_AMIGAONE),y)
+src-plat  += cuboot-amigaone.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_PPC_PS3),y)
+src-plat  += ps3-head.S ps3-hvcall.S ps3.c
+endif
+ifeq ($(CONFIG_EPAPR_BOOT),y)
+src-plat  += epapr.c
+endif
+src-plat  := $(sort $(src-plat))
 src-boot := $(src-wlib) $(src-plat) empty.c
 
 src-boot := $(addprefix $(obj)/, $(src-boot))
-- 
1.7.7.6

Yours Tony