Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/6][v4]: perf: Create a sysfs entry for Power event format

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:17:25 +1100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:03:43PM -0800, Sukadev Bhattiprolu wrote:
> Michael Ellerman [[email-masked]] wrote:
> | On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:26:13PM -0800, Sukadev Bhattiprolu wrote:
> | > 
> | > [PATCH 5/6][v4]: perf: Create a sysfs entry for Power event format
> | > 
> | > Create a sysfs entry, '/sys/bus/event_source/devices/cpu/format/event'
> | > which describes the format of a POWER cpu.
> | 
> | Did this patch go upstream? I don't see it.
> 
> Hmm, patches 1..4,6 are in linux-tip and Arnaldo's trees but patch 5 is
> in neither.

I suspect Arnaldo was either waiting for an ACK from Ben, or was
expecting Ben to take it?

> | > The format of the event is the same for all POWER cpus at least in
> | > (Power6, Power7), so bulk of this change is common in the code common
> | > to POWER cpus.
> | 
> | No. The event format is different on most POWER cpus, in particular it
> | is different on Power6 and Power7, and will be different again on
> | Power8.
> 
> Sigh.  The port of this patchset to Power6 has not started yet.

It should hardly require a port, it's about five lines. But it doesn't
matter for now.
 
> But this patchset does work on Power7 correct ?

Yes, and without it the rest of the series is essentially useless. So I
guess it's better than nothing and we should get it in, we can fix it up
later to work across different chips.

Ben can you grab it, it's all arch/powerpc.

cheers