Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/4 v2] mv643xx_eth: convert to use the Marvell Orion MDIO driver

From: Thomas Petazzoni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:42:10 +0100

Dear Florian Fainelli,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:07:12 +0100, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> Thanks to the help of Andrew Lunn, there is at least two known issues 
> with this patch version:
> 
> - we need to move up the mvmdio line in 
> drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/Makefile to make sure that configs having 
> both mvmdio and mv643xx_eth built-in get the probing order right

I don't think it's the right way of fixing the problem. If there is no
dependency on the two devices through the device model (i.e they don't
have a parent->child relationship), then the mv643xx_eth driver should
probably return -EPROBE_DEFER when it can't find its PHY so that its
->probe() operation gets called once again by the kernel when other
drivers (including mvmdio) have been probed.

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com