Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] powerpc: Set default VGA device

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 17:52:38 +1100

Hi Brian,

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 04:58:17PM -0500, Brian King wrote:
> 
> Add a PCI quirk for VGA devices on Power to set the default VGA device.
> Ensures a default VGA is always set if a graphics adapter is present,
> even if firmware did not initialize it. If more than one graphics
> adapter is present, ensure the one initialized by firmware is set
> as the default VGA device. This ensures that X autoconfiguration
> will work.

So a few things:

 - You are doing this on all power systems, not just pseries which is I
   assume what you're testing on - that seems OK to me, but just
   checking.
 - What is the "initialized by firmware" test? Just that IO & MEM are
   enabled?
 - You potentially override an existing default, is that a problem? Can
   the user set the default? (no AFAICS).
 - The x86 code is slightly different, they don't override an existing
   default, why do we?

cheers