Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/5] powerpc/powernv: Pick up correct number of PEs

From: Gavin Shan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 12:24:46 +0800

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 07:18:46PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 16:47 +0800, Gavin Shan wrote:
>> Usually, the property "ibm,opal-num-pes" of PHB dev-tree node
>> indicates the number of total PEs. If that property isn't existing
>> or valid, we should fall back to pick the correct number of total
>> PEs according to PHB type: IODA1 or IODA2.
>
>Is that correct ? Don't we get the total number of PEs from a config
>register on the bridge ? I didn't think the IODA architecture specified
>the total number of PE of a given implementation...
>

For now, the firmware has fixed values (1/128/256), which isn't figured
out from EEH capability register. That might be something to do later
for the f/w.

>For example, does Torrent implement 128 ?
>

I don't know what's "Torrent" :-)

>I'd rather stick to safe here, if the firmware doesn't say, just use
>one.
>
>Now some of the PHB registers are actually architected in IODA afaik, so
>we could just go look but let's not make a precedent here.
>

Ok. Thanks, Ben. Please drop this one :-)

Thanks,
Gavin