Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] drivers/vfio: New IOCTL command VFIO_EEH_INFO

From: Gavin Shan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 20:48:52 +1000

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 05:24:22PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 08:23 +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> > Note to Alex: This definitely kills the notifier idea for now
>> though,
>> > at least as a first class citizen of the design. We can add it as an
>> > optional optimization on top later.
>> 
>> I don't think it does. The notifier would just get triggered on config
>> space read failures for example :). It's really just an aid for the
>> vfio user to have a common code path for error handling.
>
>I'll let Gavin make the final call on that one, if he thinks we can
>reliably trigger it and there isn't too much code churn as a
>consequence.
>

Lets postpone it as future improvement. It's not hard to send the
event (EEH errors) out, but I need think about how to extend the
existing guest's infrastructure to accept event. As Ben mentioned,
event-scan might be potential mechanism for that. We can discuss
for more later :-)

Thanks,
Gavin